We have spotted them popping up in online conversations, everywhere. They’ve even started to subvert their way into offline media, including billboards, packaging and branding. And it’s now not uncommon to hear them playfully dropped into casual speech. Yes, the humble ‘Hashtag; has quickly risen from simply being a low-profile telephone key to carrying a weight of semantic responsibility.
In the world of social media, hashtags indicate keywords related to your content. They become clickable links which allow you to increase your brand visibility, become a part of a wider audience, join or create dialogue, promote your content or keep up with trending topics.
The hashtags group topics and make it easier for users to find others who are discussing the same thing online, on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Tumblr and Pinterest. Hashtags can expand your content reach, amplify your brand, target your market, get your content found, improve your SEO, and more. Here are 5 ways of effectively using hashtags to promote your business-
1. Brand Name Hashtag-
Businesses can increase their brand awareness by constantly adding new posts with their brand name hash-tagged. When branding a business brand name or your brand tagline, always keep it short and sweet, and something unique to your company. It also serves as an ideal way to engage the audience in an online campaign.
Example: #SangeethaMobiles #COCACOLA
KitKat uses its tagline #HaveABreak consistently on all social sites to engage and respond to customers
2. Local Hashtag-
Local businesses can gain great exposure through the hashtag system. Local tagging will increase views from specified local areas. Posting new and interesting items with local hashtags will keep your content relevant, stand out in any search and help you establish your business amongst the local communities. Before using local hashtags, make sure you
1. Research about how the local conversations are taking place about that particular hashtag
2. Study how frequently a hashtag is being used for any particular topic
3. Tools like ‘tagboard’ help you with the details about hashtags across social media platforms
Example: #TajVivanta #MGRoad #Bangalore
3. Keyword Targeting Hashtag
Every business on the web has a keyword targeting goal. Use up to 3 main keywords to always hashtag on your social media profiles. Targeting your keywords through the hashtag system is a proven way to become visible to relevant social media users. Research the most used keywords and phrases for your industry and based on the type of campaign use them diligently.
4. Trending Items Hashtag
Trending items are known to generate the most views and searches. When a new breaking story erupts, it’s a great idea to add that trending stories hashtag on your post. For bloggers, it is common to write blog posts about the next trending item so it will be easily seen. Sites like hashtag.org, statigram, trendsmap etc., help you with the metrics of constantly trending and currently trending topics.
Polowers’ campaign by Volkswagen - Volkswagen ran an online campaign to facilitate engagement with the young consumers about its admired ‘Polo’ car. They came up with a catchy hashtag '#Polowers', a combination of Polo & Followers. To invite ‘twitteratis’ to join the discussion about the brand, they devised a ‘1st Polowers' race’. Anyone who used '#Polowers' would take the first position in the race on twitter and the one who would still be in the first place when the polo stopped would win a brand-new Polo car! The campaign generated more than 150,000 tweets within 8 hours and became the number one of the top 10 trending topics on Twitter!
5. Content Hashtags
These are known to boost the SEO of your posts. They help you with the hashtag words seen by your consumers. Three commonly used content hashtags include,
1. Product hashtags – It refers to the direct promotion of your product. Example: If you are a designer boutique, use the hashtag #designerwearcollections2018 with the best pics from your gallery to be visible for anyone looking for designer wear collections.
2. Lifestyle hashtags – Example: It is important to understand the psyche of your target market and connect them to the ones with common lifestyle and hobbies. When you are a sports centre, You can use hashtags that showcases the sports that you offer, thereby connecting people with similar interest and spreading awareness about your brand.
3. Holidays/Seasons/Activity/ Event hashtags – These are most searched hashtags. Getting involved in events and pre-hash tagging that you will be attending will also gain followers and views. Example: #Diwali2018 #XMAS2018 #Summer #Spring #BunnyHunt #techconvention2018
Hashtags are a great way to expand your reach, gain exposure and make connections on social media. But whatever is the hashtag, make sure you use original, creative yet easy to understand, trending and exciting hashtag to have more meaningful interactions with consumers and ultimately spread the maximum awareness about your brand.